Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Cirencester, the Cup holders, surprisingly under David Doyle’s captaincy – he had publically retired at the repeat 2014 Final but obviously forgotten – were a slightly denuded squad from their semi-final victory over Minchinhampton with a new front-row, some returning players and those youngsters not playing in the Colts Cup Semi-Final (see below) started off the brighter with an early penalty by Archie Doyle but their superior territorial and possession advantage came to nothing due to some pressure at set-piece and via annoying the Glos Society referee, Mr Clark. Veteran scrum-half Paddy Brennan was marched back several times for his use of lip. Doyle narrowly missed his next penalty and Dursley then imposed themselves on the game with a converted try and penalty. The score stayed like that – half-time 3-10.
Cirencester started the second half slightly wilting in the hot conditions and lost both Mark Vaughan and Dan Carter to the side-lines with off-the ball injuries. But Lazarus-like Town struck right back with a scintillating score. Brennan broke from a ruck and neatly passed the ball inside to young flanker, Toben Ronald, who had a fine game alongside Oscar Todd. Ronald carried on the burst before spinning the ball wide to substitute Leon Smith who scorched over the white-wash near the post. Doyle converted. 10-10, game on. Brennan and Mr Clark then decided to differ on Laws and Dursley scored from two soft penalties. Smith took a harsh yellow card following a rib-tickling tackle and with the sun-bathed crowd on edge 14-man Town pressed for the vital score but it sadly came to no avail. Dursley with a full squad to utilise then y rubbed salt in the holder’s wound with a breakaway try in the dying minutes. 10-21 final score.
Geoff Davies the GRFU President, and tongue-twisting Dursley resident, presented the prizes to the officials and runners-up Cirencester before handing over the Bill Adams’ Trophy to Dursley’s ancient captain, Phil Moorsom, amongst raucous cheering.
Cirencester RFC can take heart from the match – not only has the 3rd XV been resurrected end-of-season but a large number of Colts have been introduced into senior rugby. This match saw great performances from the hirsute Doyle, new-comer Todd, young Ronald, speedy Sam Scott and returning-hero Smith. The better team, Dursley, won on the day but overall local community rugby was the actual winner.
Team : T.Skelton, D.Doyle, M Vaughan, D Carter, R Baldwin, O Todd, T Ronald, J Newman, P Brennan, R Lister, S Scott, T Dykes, A Doyle, S Davison, J Gale. Reserves : L Smith, B Wiltshire, S Brunsdon, J Waite.